Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Hotel, and, The Craphole. . .


Ladies and Gentlemen, I bid you welcome, to my first ever blog!! Let me begin by asking you to cast your eyes upwards. No, not to the ceiling! I worry about you sometimes! I meant, cast your eyes to the picture at the top of the page.
This, is The White Hart Hotel in Gainsborough. And, this is where myself and a friend were supposed to be staying last Saturday night. Pretty isn't it?
So. Imagine our surprise when, after four and a bit hours of traveling, and a confused Sat Nav later we arrived at said destination only to find out that it had been closed down earlier that week! (Yep, we laughed too!)
We had arrived in Gainsborough to do a paranormal investigation at The Old Nick Theatre, and, because it was along drive had booked ourselves into an overnight stay at the afore mentioned hotel.
Slightly bemused by the fact that our accommodation was, as the sign on the door read, "Closed until further notice." we set off in search of another place to crash the night.
We found this. . .

Cosy, huh?
We walked into what can only be described as the most disturbing fancy dress party I had ever seen. A team of rugby players had descended upon the pub/hotel in a variety of different outfits. The big beer bellied individual in the pink hot pants is an image that will unfortunately stay with me for a long time.
We checked in at the reception/service hatch. The poor bar woman who was working alone, and looking very stressed, informed us that we were in luck. They had a couple of rooms available for the night and, that the rooms were "Quite nice."
Her saying the rooms were quite nice is like me saying to you that The Bates Motel is quite friendly.
I entered the room. (Well, shoulder barged my way in.) The first thing that struck me was just how bloody cold it was. Both the windows were open. I walked over to shut them only to discover that on one of them the catch was broken, so I had two choices. Partially open or, open!
I never bothered to unpack as I would only be there for a few hours, but, I did, decide to have a root around the cupboards and drawers etc.
The first wardrobe, well, only wardrobe I opened greeted me with a dirty pair of jeans sitting at the bottom. I remember thinking that I hope the owner of these jeans doesn't come back looking for them in a trouserless state late at night!
The cupboard under the sink had a empty bottle of Coke in it, the obligatory Hotel Bible had a suspicious stain on the cover, the T.V, had no reception and everything felt sticky to the touch. I reminded myself that I woudn't be there for very long, so I got changed, and went next door to meet up with my friend and, together we hit the streets of Gainsborough. . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment